I’ve got a stack of cookbooks, but with Pinterest, I barely crack any of them open. Except for this one.
Half our family’s favorite recipes come from this cookbook. I can’t remember who got it for us for our wedding (sorry!), but to whoever did, most thanks.
Over the years, I’ve scribbled in the margins my own tweaks to the recipes. Since I’ve tweaked their “Mini Meatloaves” fairly significantly, I’ll share that here, since I won’t be violating any copyrights.
So here’s my version of Betty Crocker’s Mini Meatloaves, sans photo, because I’m an irresponsible blogger and my kitchen is full of moving boxes.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork or turkey
- 1/2 cup Bisquick (you could try the DIY alternative)
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 egg
- Thyme (to taste)
- Heat oven to 450F.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup and brown sugar together.
- Dump half of the mixture into a large bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Oil a 9×13 pan with the oil or cooking spray of your choice.
- Form the meat mixture into a meatloaf in the center of your pan.
- With a spatula, cut the loaf in half lengthwise, then crosswise to create 4 smaller loaves.
- Cut each of the four loaves into three smaller loaves, so you have 12 total. Shimmy the mini loaves around with the spatula to give each one space to expand.
- Brush the loaves with the remaining ketchup and brown sugar mixture.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until they are fully brown and 160F in center.
Side dish ideas
Serve with baked potatoes and baby carrots or asparagus.