DIY Nursery: Changing Pad #1

Because we decided to put the dresser/bookshelf combo into the nursery (for extra storage and shelf space) and put the actual changing table/dresser combo in the master bedroom (so I would have a dresser), we needed a changing table pad that would fit in a smaller space and be thinner than the gigantic, curved changing pads they sell these days.

So I decided to make my own. I was inspired by this site, but since there weren’t many pictures and I could make no sense of what the woman was saying, I kind of decided to do my own thing.

First, I needed to get my supplies:

  • Foam, to use as the changing pad
  • Waterproof fabric, to make the changing pad functional, as opposed to a big sponge.
  • Cute, fun fabric, for interchangeable, washable covers
  • Velcro and Stitch Witchery, to bind the fabric together
  • A yardstick, scissors, and pencil
  • Safety goggles?

Apparently you need safety goggles if you are using a yardstick.

At the ONLY fabric store in town, the foam was ridiculously expensive and was way huge. I would have paid maybe $20 just for the foam, and since I wanted to make a custom changing pad that was actually cheaper than the ones sold in stores, that was out. So I bought two 14″ square cushions that were hypo-allergenic and mildew resistant (sounds good, considering its purpose!). I hand-stitched them together, stitching the top, gluing the middle, and stitching the bottom, so that the two pieces were attached on every side. If I had just stitched the two together in one go, the middle, I assumed, would have slumped.

For the waterproof cover, I got half a yard of Diaper PUL Fabric. Don’t ask me what the letters stand for, because I have no idea. I just know that it is used in cloth diaper covers.

The foam cushions, stitched together, and the PUL fabric

Unfortunately, the fabric was not long enough…

Just a little too short...

…so I had to cut down the cushion by about an inch (or two, to allow for some overlap in the fabric).

Then I just wrapped the cushion as if I were wrapping a present. But instead of tape, I used Velcro to secure.

That's a wrap.

Next, it was time to make the covers for the changing pad. I found basically the cutest fabrics EVER.

Couldn't get more awesome than this.

Sadly, I do not have a sewing machine. And while the Stitch Witchery (that adhesive tape-like stuff you iron on to fuse fabrics together) did work fairly well, I decided to wait until my sewing machine came in before I finished sewing those.

Here is a glimpse at the finished product!!!

Beautiful, no?

Cheerio!

Update: It is now five months later and I still haven’t sewn up the changing pad covers. I have just been doing so many other projects! But if you know how to make a pillow case, you know how to make a changing pad cover. Turn inside out, choose which side you want to be the open one (I chose a short side), hem that, and then sew the other three sides shut. You could add velcro, but I just fold the open side under the changing pad. Then when it gets soiled, I can fling the changing pad out of the cover with one arm and don’t have to hassle with trying to unbutton or un-velcro it while holding a baby in one arm.

About these ads

6 thoughts on “DIY Nursery: Changing Pad #1

  1. Before anyone makes a comment on how unsafe the changing pad may appear (slippery? no straps?), let me say that I will not be leaving my child unattended on the changing pad for even a millisecond, so he will not be falling off.

    Also, the clearance may seem a little low for bigger babies, and the changing pad may seem a little short for taller babies. But we will definitely be having a small child, and if he does happen to outgrow the space before he is potty trained, there is always the floor, and if I get tired of that, we can switch furniture.

  2. You are so crafty! You are going to be a great mom. How wonderful to see you in full bloom…will be keeping an eye on your blog. Love ya!

  3. I’m thinking about making my own as our dressing isn’t big enough for the standard 31″changing pad AND a basket for wipes, etc.. How did you attach the velcro stuff?? I think sewing the covers should be easy but I have no idea how this velcro stuff would work.

    • I can’t remember, honestly! I either used the adhesive velcro or used stitch witchery to attach it to the waterproof fabric. If I don’t have to get out my sewing machine, I do whatever else I can!

This is the comment fountain! Drop your two cents here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s